These light meal ideas are perfect for those hot days when you just want to stay out of the kitchen. Prepare a healthy and easy summer vegetarian recipe in less than 30 minutes!
Summer vegetarian recipe to feel light on hot days
Do you like recipes with zucchini and fresh salads with cucumbers? From June to September, celebrate the abundance of beautiful summer produce with vegetarian dishes! Ideal for lunches and dinners in the garden, you will find two quick preparations featuring delicious seasonal vegetables.
Zucchini pizza bites are sure to find their place on the table during weeknights or as afternoon snacks.
In fact, one of the reasons we love zucchini is that they contain a lot of water and are in season in the summer when we need hydration the most! They are also rich in vitamins A and C, as well as manganese, copper and folate. If you have more time to prepare these bites, sprinkle each slice of vegetable with a little salt and let it rest for a few minutes before garnishing it. This helps extract excess moisture.
- 1 large zucchini
- ⅔ cup marinara or pizza sauce (¾-1 tsp marinara or pizza sauce per slice depending on size)
- ½ packet of vegan mozzarella (¾-1 teaspoon per slice depending on size)
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (~¼-½ tsp oil per slice depending on size)
- fine salt and ground black pepper to taste
- italian seasoning
- vegan parmesan cheese
- finely diced vegetables, such as red pepper or mushrooms
- black olives
- vegan breadcrumbs
- fresh basil (as a garnish after cooking)
1. First, preheat the oven to 260°C. Then, line 2 half baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cut the courgettes into 1 cm slices. Place them on the two lined baking sheets. Zucchini slices should not touch each other.
3. Next, add ¾ teaspoon marinara or pizza sauce to each slice of zucchini. Try to keep the sauce in the center of the round, leaving some zucchini exposed around the edges.
4. Add ¾-1 teaspoon of cheese to the center of the zucchini rounds. Drizzle ¼-1/2 teaspoon oil over the cheese (this helps the cheese brown). Lightly sprinkle all rounds with salt and pepper.
5. Next, add all the desired toppings.
6. Bake for 7 minutes, watching closely so the cheese does not burn. Remove from the oven when the cheese is golden and bubbly. Garnish with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy hot.
Save leftovers from this summer vegetarian recipe once they have cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. For best results, reheat in the oven. Best when fresh.
Summer vegetarian recipe: Cold cucumber soup
The very hot days of summer are coming! In this context, have you tried making a cold cucumber soup? It is often served in fancy restaurants during the warmer months. You might be surprised how easy it is to make at home! Put everything in the blender and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
This is indeed the perfect recipe for using up any garden cucumbers you may have this summer. These vegetables are low in calories and contain a good amount of water and soluble fiber, making them very hydrating and great for weight loss and overall health.
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 ½ cups vegan yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh curly parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little more for drizzling
- sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Optional: pine nuts, green onions, freshly diced cucumber for garnish.
1. First, using a sharp knife, carefully cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise. Then remove the seeds by passing a teaspoon over them, leaving the flesh.
2. Second, cut the seeded cucumbers into chunks and coarsely chop the rest along with the shallots.
3. Then place the coarsely chopped cucumbers, yogurt, lemon juice, shallots, garlic, dill, parsley and oil in a high speed blender. Then blend until you get a smooth purée.
4. Then, pour this puree into a large bowl. Season with a small pinch of sea salt and white pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
5. Divide your cold soup into small bowls. Garnish with freshly diced cucumbers and green onions, if desired. Finally, drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle pine nuts on top; serve immediately.
Photo credit : simple-veganista.com